[CALUG] Upcoming CALug Information

Chuck Frain chuckfrain at pobox.com
Thu Feb 12 22:08:38 EST 2009

I want to take a moment and thank Paul Frields for coming up last night and
giving us a great presentation on remixing Fedora. I've already received
several private emails from attendees saying how much they enjoyed the talk
and information.

If you are interested in finding out more about the Fedora project point
your browser to http://fedoraproject.org

Also a quick thanks to Ben Figueroa for the Linux Format magazines.

As promised, here are more details of the announcements I made at the
beginning of the evening.

Ubuntu Bug Jam
Feb 21 from 9am-1pm at the Howard County Library Miller Branch Computer Lab
I will be giving a talk on using Launchpad to report new bugs and triage
existing reports. The rest of the day will be spent putting into practice
what you learn. This is a great way to start giving back to the Ubuntu
project if you are looking for a way to do that. More details can be found
at http://gbj.ubuntu-maryland.org

Dojosec
Marcus Ranum, Chief Securty Officer of Tenable Network Security, will be
talking at DojoSec on March 5. He will be giving his talk 'Cyberwar is
B!)*&#!t ' and he describes it as:

There has been a great deal of irresponsible and inaccurate
talk about "cyberwar" in the last decade, in spite of the fact that
it's technologically and militarily impractical. Its counterpart,
"cyberespionage" makes a bit more sense, and is less mythical
but falls under the category of "nothing new." In this presentation
we'll look past the hype at the reality of "cyberwar".

DojoSec has been billed as 'dinner theater for security geeks' and is a
great place to meet new people and gain valuable information.

Marcus Carey of Sun Tzu Data started and runs the organization. More
information can be found at http://www.dojosec.com

FOSE Booth
March 10-12 Tues-Thurs
David Cafaro recently sent out an email to the list asking for volunteers to
man the Tux.org booth at this year's FOSE event in DC. In trade for a few
hours of your time you get a pass for the show. Not a bad deal.

Finally I've set up an http://identi.ca group for passing information about
CALug events. I don't know how or how often we'll be taking advantage of it
but if you're there feel free to utilise it. http://identi.ca/group/calug

I think that's about it for now. I'll be posting some details about Sean
Wilkerson's talk scheduled for our March 11th meeting in the coming weeks.

Chuck