[CALUG] Petty note regarding OpenOffice.org (OOo) -- WAS: outputting PDF or PS from FOSS?

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jun 30 22:45:10 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 13:56 -0700, Ed Browne wrote:
> Thanks to all who responded, I can indeed output pdf from O.O.**

Glad you don't have to do anything to get your paper turned in.  ;)

-- Bryan

**P.S.  FYI, being mega-anal here, but just for future conformity ...

1.  The project/program/suite is "OpenOffice.org" (note the .org)
2.  The abbreviation is "OOo" (small "o" at the end for the .org)

It's one of those trademark things, petty things that come to bite
projects in the rear, hence why it's always good for the community to
know about them.  E.g., there is a rather large, non-community-friendly
firm with some "claim" on the "Open" and "Office" combo (enough lawyers
that we probably don't want to find out how "valid" it is ;).  Also,
it's not just an US-only detail.  In fact, some locales can be more of
an issue on trademarks than even in North America (e.g., Germany), many
long stories (e.g., SuSE prior to the Novell purchase).

Now I'll return to beating my head against the wall as I see yet another
reference that "we" should not shorten something as "RHEL" because of
the trademark in the acronym all while the another, public blog/press
touts this new acronym "RHEV."  Sigh ... trademarks ... ignorance ...

There are people, evil people and then lawyers.  @-ppp

--
Bryan J  Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:   http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith