[CALUG] Cable Modem Security Issue

Ben W bigmojo74 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 20:53:55 EDT 2009

As I'm new to the list I'm not sure if this is appropriate since it's not
*nix related, I'm new to the area I'm not sure if Time Warner even has
presence in the local bandwidth market. However, if anyone is a Time Warner
or Road Runner customer using the SMC8014 model modem you should be aware
that David Chen recently alerted the community to a major flaw in the
device. A user can access all of the modems administrative functions by
simply disabling javascript in their web browser and connecting to the
device.

As always if this is a misuse of the list please let me know, I'm new, but
as this is now showing up on numerous blogs I'm sure there'll be
scriptkiddies pounding away at it and figured I'd toss a line.

Thanks much

For ZeroDay's article
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=4702