[CALUG] FOSS for inventory management

Craig Younkins cyounkins at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 09:13:44 EDT 2009

> "Are you tracking computer equipment on a network or widgets?"

I'm tracking widgets that I'm selling. Ideally, there would be a form for
new inventory, a form for when items are sold, etc. Invoice creation and the
like would be nice, but is probably overkill. Being able to attach product
images is a pretty high priority, and the fieldset must be configurable to
allow for shipment tracking numbers and widget-specific info.

I took a look at tracmor. It looked ok, but not configurable enough for my
needs. I couldn't figure out how to modify the inventory fieldset to include
such widget-specific information or include a picture. It's entirely
possible it's there, just hidden. Shipping courier integration with tracking
numbers is nice though.

"What about the OOO database app?"

So I didn't actually know that OOo had a database application! I checked it
out, but like most of the OOo suite, it is not very user friendly. I'm
somewhat familiar with relational database design, so I was able to get my
custom fields in there and all, but setting up the forms was a real pain. I
wanted to have a list of possible colors in a database, and have a one to
many relationship from widgets to colors. That is, a widget can have
multiple colors. This was absolutely aggravating to figure out, hardly
intuitive, and I ended up wasting ~3 hours on it yesterday, finally getting
that part to work. So OOo base is very powerful, but seems so hard to use.

Will check out Adempiere today.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

--

Craig Younkins