[CALUG] Off Topic: Camera Store

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Apr 2 13:49:41 EDT 2010

I usually buy mail order -- Adorama, B&H Photo, Buy Dig / Beach Camera (who
are great if you catch a good sale when they have them) -- official, trusted
resellers of USA/full warranty, non-grey market.  Sometimes I use Amazon,
although be wary of some of their marketplace resellers.

But one time I had to pick up a lens to use the very next day.  In that case, it's
well worth it to make a trek over to Ace Photo near Dulles.  Yes, I know, not
the most ideal drive, but they are friendly, let you use things before you buy,
aren't that much from the best mail order (with official USA/full warranty dealers,
non-grey market), etc...  Well worth the drive IMHO, pick off-peak traffic hours.

  http://acephoto.net/

<attitude=on>
I'm a tad biased though.  I only own KAF systems.  You can't just go to a local
Ritz camera and buy anything but "kit" lenses and the "cheapest" bodies --
which they mark-up horrendously, even well beyond list price.  They do this so
they are the same price as the equivalent Canon and Nikon models, who heavily
subsidize their storefronts (so why not?).  Many reps also put me on the
defensive really quick, without me even saying a thing.

Ace Photo reps deal with a lot of people, from novices to amateur-expert (of
which I'm trying to reach myself) to the pros.  They are not far from mail order
in prices in many cases.  And even though they don't sell as much K mount stuff,
they do appreciate what I'm asking for.

Like when I walked in looking for the DA* 200 f/2.8[1] on July 2nd of last year.
I was catching a flight to use it the very next day at a race[2].

They had it for under street price, within $100 of mail order, they let me use it
and, even though they were busy, were talking to me about how they've never
seen a fast 200mm focal in only 5".  They also asked me about how I liked having
a fully weather sealed system -- and we talked about how I live in Florida, and
my K20D+DA*[3] combos have taken 5 hours of monsoon-type raining with it (even
though it's only rated for 2 hours continuous).  They were interested in hearing
about a system they themselves don't shoot with, but do occasionally run into
users of.

It's that type of hands-on option and friendly, peer, respectful discussion and
questions.  I don't feel the need to say anything negative of Canon or Nikon.  But
every time I walk into Ritz camera for a little accessory, there's at least one (if
not both) reps putting me immediately on the defensive.

Although every now and then I get a good chuckle.  Like the time one guy saw
my body and said, "I've never hear of that brand.  But we can upgrade you to a
Canon or Nikon."

And I just responded, "oh, the name is derrived from prism reflex as they created
the system."

It was clear he didn't understand WTF I was talking about, yet anyone who deals
with cameras should.  ;)

Others have hear of it, and keep thinking back to the "student" K1000 camera.
They think it doesn't have many features, when even entry-level is the opposite[3].
And yet others like to say, "oh, it's not a pro vendor, they don't make full frame."
No, they don't ... they just make a 40MP medium format instead of limiting
themselves to 35mm -- not too bad for a "small" vendor.  ;)

[1] http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Lenses/Lens-Test-Pentax-SMCP-DA-200mm-f-2.8ED-IF-SDM-AF
[2] http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebs413/sets/72157620845106641/
[3] http://www.neocamera.com/feature_compare_weather_sealed_dslr.html
</attitude>

From: Rajiv Gunja <opn.src.rocks at gmail.com>

Hello,
Does anyone know a Camera shop/store in and around Columbia? I know Best
Buy has cameras, but they are not the best around.  Thanks