[CALUG] Can Media cards have bad blocks?

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Apr 9 20:17:23 EDT 2010

It's not similar to disk technology.  In disk technology, sector
write failures are in excess of 10**13, although it does not
mean the sector has failed.  In NAND technology, block failures
are around 10**3, and a completely removed once a threshhold
is reached.  As such, block rotation is _mandatory_ with NAND,
wholly unlike disk technology.  In reliable design, this is done by the
OS and filesystem (e.g., Linux JFFS2).  But Windows doesn't
offer such, so auto-rotated logic is provided by commodity
devices.

Also, _never_ do a dd or complete block wipe.  You _destroy_
the longevity of the device.  Again, most people shouldn't assume
anything about commodity NAND, because it's wholly unlike
anything they've ever dealt with. ;)

Bryan J Smith - mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile