[CALUG] Linux video I produced for PCWorld magazine

Phil Shapiro pshapiro at his.com
Thu Apr 29 12:33:42 EDT 2010

Hi CALUG community,

   Here's a video I recently produced to run on PCWorld magazine's web
site under their Linux Line blog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_hUa4Bn8Q

    It was fun making this video, but one thing I've started wondering
about is why is there such a long latency between the time I press the
enter key to go to a particular web site and the time the web site
starts to appear. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

    This is a Pentium III computer (1 GHz) with 384 megs of RAM.

    The latency is much longer than when I was using Netscape 2.x on
my Performa 550 Mac, surfing the web with 5 megs of RAM back in 1995.
(with 14.4 kbps dial-up modem)

     I wonder if the latency is because I was using a wireless
network? I didn't get a chance to try using this computer with a wired
network while I was shooting the video.

            Phil

Phil Shapiro  pshapiro at his.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html