[CALUG] modest camera for linux ??

mhartwx mhartwx at verizon.net
Sun Aug 29 16:25:37 EDT 2010

I've always had good luck (driver-wise) with Canon PowerShot cameras.  I
use digikam to download from my camera (it's always recognized my
various Canon models) & manage my pix.  I use KDE but think digikam
works with Gnome too.

My current model is the A1000, which cost more (a little above $200)
than your price range but there are cheaper models in the PowerShot
series that may serve your purpose.  This was one of the cheaper
PowerShots that has an actual honest to god optical viewfinder (which I
prefer to a digital display).  I also like having a 4x
optical-stabilized zoom (10 Mpix & SD card storage, btw).  Amazon says
the A1000 has been replaced by the A3100-IS for $149.99 (12 Mpix but no
viewfinder).  Target & Walmart both seem to sell the A3100-IS & I'm sure
many other Canon models.
     mlhart