[CALUG] Checksum error -- WAS: modest linux camera: feedback

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 20:34:53 EDT 2010

thanks,

I know there wasn't any corruption, although I initially
suspected it.  But rpm would have told me so.

All the packages in this case are in the Fedora 12 release DVD.
(gnome).
The install was local and if I spec to yum:
it accepted options
-C  --reposomethng=fedora-DVD

( sorry, I'm typing from another box/memory ) where all the DVD
files were copied to the hard disk, and I edited the
/etc/yum/repos.conf file ( again, not exactly a quote).
I have used other repos such as livna in the past.  but they have their
own dot config and I assume their own sig.

I also recall ( but not much) reading about some Fedora problem
with some sig, but as long as my pkges installed, I'm not interested
in researching it.  OTOH, I may need to install another 50 meg
set of 20 packages in the future... !!!!! as I recall, there is some
file that contains the proper sig.  Thought I had it ... unless I
D/L some later file with a different checkysum.

By the way, on the off-chance the "Jeilin driver" was in the kernel,
I tried rebooting both the original F12 release, and a later F12 kernel.
(but not the latest)
Of course, this wouldn't change the camera catalog selection... which
raises an interesting Q: digiKam needed some kde dependencies and
gthumb obviously is a gnome pkg.  Who/Where/what
made ( and upkeeps) the camera "catalog" ??

Walt.......