[CALUG] asus wireless and secure yahoo email

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 16:24:05 EST 2010

hi,

Regarding a prior email re: java, I'm now looking into netbeans.

But, instead of a developer Q, I now have 2 sys admin q's,
perhaps more liking to the list ... <g> ..

--

1.  I have a used Asus wireless box with a wlan and several lan
connections.  I want to be able to access a local open wifi by

Can this be done, and how  (I know it was intended to spread
a cable Internet connection all over the neighborhood ) ?

eth0 is phantom and not used ( probably a chip on MB) .
I have eth1 on F12 box connected to Asus on LAN1.
I have a 192.168.1.1 web connection to Asus box and have it's web page.
I can  set parameters using FF on F12.

I'm not really comfortable with the myriad of settings in the Asus,
nor on every setting in F-12 system-config-network.  But I
started with getting a ping and then have http.
For example, should I try hooking the ethernet cable to WAN on Asus
instead of LAN ?

I'm not sure how/what/why I should look at or consider any "wireless"
menus etc in F12.  I know to ignore bluetooth ( I think ).

2.
I have always a google https connection.  I want to get reasonably
( but I'm not overly paranoid ) secure yahoo email over the open
connection.  When I do:  https://mail.yahoo.com, the login appears
to be "secure", but the web mail switches to http://us.mc1200.mail.yahoo.com  ( meaning, it's not https ).

Is this at least somewhat secure? Does yahoo encode only the login ?
does yahoo use javascript to scramble the mail text ?

I would guess I'll need a couple iterations of Q&A with this stuff..
But I figure ya'll got nothin to do when the commercials come on
during the Ravens/Pittsburgh game tonite..

thx,

Walt ....