[CALUG] asus wifi

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 24 19:28:41 EST 2010

hi all,

minor correction:
after a reply Q, I re-read my post and see I
was clear as mud as to the Asus firmware:  The Asus
has the original manufacturers firmware which presents
web pages to set it up.  That firmware, I discovered, is GPL'd and is
not dd-wrt.  I merely note it.  dd-wrt is something that I kept
seeing in my several hours of googling.

Also,
example:

Suppose my desktop is portable, kinda like a laptop.
But this supposed laptop doesn't have built-in wifi nor
does it have a pcmcia wifi card.  It has an ethernet port.

I carry this "laptop" and an Asus Wireless Thingy into a Starbucks.
And connect an ethernet cable from the laptop to the Asus.
It is plugged into one Asus LAN connector.  The other
3 LAN Asus connectors are empty, as is the ASUS WAN conector.
I then attempt to use the laptop to get into Internet using the
Asus Thingy wireless and Starbucks wireless system..

Hope this clarifies things.. !!