[CALUG] GCC Woes

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Feb 9 14:02:01 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 22:06 -0500, John Alan Hastings wrote:
> Ben,
> It has been a few years since I had to do some backbuilding, and I do
> not remember what all the issues were, but I do remember that what
> worked for me was to build a clean room in a chroot jail.  Rather than
> link the libraries, I copied them so that no matter what happened in the
> chroot I would not damage my working system.  In addition, I knew
> exactly what was going on.

This is not only highly recommended, but it's how DPKG and RPM does it
as well.

Ever since "make mrproper" (aka "make Mr. Clean") blew away kernel
libraries that the system also used, I've always used a chroot
environment to build kernels.

You don't want to be mixing build toolchains and run-time toolchains if
you can help it, even if they are the same versions.  For those of us
that cross-compile, it's required.  ;)

--
Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>