[CALUG] any clonezilla experts out there?

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Mon Jul 5 19:57:25 EDT 2010

I have never used clonezilla. And unless I wanted to take the time and
effort to learn it, I'd do it by hand.

Assuming that the new 500G disk is in the machine as sda and the old
250G is in a USB enclosure as sdb, this is what I would do:

[1] Boot the Mandriva Linux install media.On the step before the disk
partitioning go to Virtual Console 2 with CTRL ALT F2
[2] Print or write down both disk labels: fdisk -l /dev/sda; fdisk -l
/dev/sdb
[3] Create sda1 and sda2 to exactly match sdb1 and sdb2 using fdisk.
[4] Create sda3 with the same length as sdb4. Put the ntfs DATA
partition here, following the Gateway and OS partitions.
[5] Make sdb4 be an Extended Partition. Carve it up the say you want.
Remember that you will have an additional  250G to play with, so you can
either add new partitions, or make an extra LVM space to carve up.
[6] Copy the Gateway and OS Partitions via dd: cd /dev; dd if=sdb1
of=sda2; dd if=sdb2 of=sda2 bs=63b
[7] Unmount everything and do a fresh install of Mandriva. Merge what is
on sda5 by hand. Set up grub.
[8] Move /home via rsync. Do it twice, as sometimes it gets confused and
craps out.
[9] Boot Windows and copy the DATA partition using the File Manager.
COPY rather than move, and you have a Backup.

JIM