[CALUG] ATI Radeon 2100-based graphics - driver or alternative video card?

Ed Browne edward_d_browne at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 12:08:23 EDT 2010

I have unfortunately an AMD 740G MoBo with integrated ATI Radeon
2100-based graphics.  It worked fine with Ubuntu 8.04, and pretty
well with 9.04, but not at all with 10.04.  According to all I've found
on the web, I tried de-installing the drivers that came with the distro,
and using the proprietary one provided by AMD.  I think it was never
going to work, because it seems they've discontinued support for
any distro beyond February 2009 - and in fact the install fails with
a cryptic error about a version:

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.32-23-generic; make sure that the version
is being correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Anyway, just to check - is there in fact anyway to operate this
graphics chipset with Ubuntu 10.04?  If not, can anyone recommend
a cheap PCI-e video card that might be supportable for longer than
the <2yrs I got out of this one?

Thanks very much - Ed