[CALUG] Hackers for Charity - Kicked Out Of Uganda - Can You Help?

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Mon Oct 18 22:13:54 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

Some of you are aware of the organization Hackers for Charity. It is a
group run by Johnny Long. He's a Baltimore, MD native. He's probably
best known for his Google Hacking book and other infosec contributions.

A little over a year ago he and his family moved to Uganda on a mission
to help those in need.

After this time the mission is in some trouble. In order to continue his
work there he needs a work permit. From his blog entry announcing this
hang up:

We need a work permit to operate in any capacity in Uganda. After
several “payments” and visits to the appropriate people in the
government, immigration today informed us that our request for a work
permit has been refused. That means we’ll have to leave if it’s not
sorted soon. According to the head of IT in the immigration office,
“This resume looks very high-tech. There is no way this person can do
these things without a degree or a certificate.”

You see, Johnny doesn't have a college degree or much in the way of
paper certification. What he needs is some paper certs, even if
honorary, to show the officials there.

If you have a moment take a look at the story of how he got there[0] and
the blog post asking for help[1]. Any help is appreciated I'm sure.

Thanks for reading!

[0]http://tinyurl.com/2w9xg2s
[1]http://tinyurl.com/3xev39t

---