[CALUG] Random Network Interfaces

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Thu Apr 14 12:34:25 EDT 2011

  The key phrase is "once assigned". We are speaking of Initial
Assignment here.

To restate Bryan's words:

"With Solaris, Sun controls the Sun Platforms" means that "Sun can
Decree that the BIOS/DMI/Whatever that scans the devices does so in the
same order as Solaris itself. Furthermore, altho Sun may not control the
PC Platform, it might be big enough to request a Customized BIOS for the
machines it sells, or it just might bite the bullet and emulate their
scanning order.

Linux, OTOH, has to run everywhere, and has little or no influence with
the BIOS folks. Anything that works will do, regardless of whether it is
compatible with another OS.

What I thing Beyan is saying later on is that if the ifcfg-xxx# file
contains HWADDR=yyyyyy then /dev/xxx# will be associated with the NIC
hard that has MAC address yyyyyy.

I suppose there are incantations to make
PXE/Anaconda/udev/bootflags/whatever happy, but in the end it's just
easier to say "we're using eth2" in the Kickstart Files.

Did I mention that there were two different type of ethernets? Two
dual-NIC cards.

JIM