[CALUG] CPU/core/threads

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 27 11:51:36 EST 2011

A 15 minute review of ark.intel.com shows a column for cores/threads.
For most newer hi-end processors, the numbers seems to be
2C/2T which is open to interpretation.

However, the lower-end cheaper ( and probably much older) processors
show 1C/2T.

This tells me that the lower end use hyperthreading and that the
processors want to handle some of a second thread.

The higher end interpretation I suggest is that each core does one
thread ( two cores would do 2 threads) (DOH !!)  and hence there's no
hyperthreading built in.  The basic conclusion is simply that each core
does exactly one thread.
( I would like to hear dissenting view, if any ).

I haven't any idea what "turbo-boost" is... and a lot of them say no.
I merely note that fact and am not particularly interested in that.

It still begs a question: Since software can be written as processes,
and can include threads, can the Linux kernel on it's own effectively
dispatch threads to the hyperthread and/or separate cores, or does
it only distribute processes ?  I understand Windows will automatically
distribute out threads of one process to various cores.

thx,

Walt .. .. . .