[CALUG] christmas questions !! (addendum)

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell at qis.net
Tue Jan 4 21:47:36 EST 2011

This is an area where i have some experience.

I have found the free tool avidemux to be of great use in converting
and editing video files.

I use it as my default video player.

some of the file formats are wrappers for mpeg.

The wikipedia page on video is a good place to start.

Incidently I have a relatively inexpensive (under $200) panasonic vhs tape
to dvd converting player which is stand alone. it works well with my hoem
shot videos. dmca technology prevents being used on most commercial vhs
tapes. he video files on the converted dvds can be edited on my linux
setup.

there is a specialized version of Ubuntu called "studio" which has a
number of tooks useful in multimedia.

for permanent storage of video stuff putting the files on a dvd is
preferred to a cd because the dvd media are less subject to damage over
time since the recording suface is protected between two layers of
plastic.

maybe if i get to a calug meeting I can bring my tape to dvd converter
along.
                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd PO Box 60, Hydes,MD,USA 21082-0060|EMAIL:bdalzell at qis.net
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com