[CALUG] Fedora upgrade unsuccessful

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jun 9 08:15:42 EDT 2011

First off, the CLI Preupgrade (preupgrade-cli) is new.  I already ran into one
person using it that had no problem when the ran the GUI Preupgrade
(preupgrade).  So ssh -X into the box and launch the GUI version if at all
possible.

NOTE:  Preupgrade is much better than straight media.  _Both_ use the Anaconda
system (far more intelligence than YUM-RPM alone).  But Preupgrade does all
pre-dependency calculation and downloads _exactly_ what you need, including from
all 3rd party software repos, to the hard drive (fast and no chance of media
errors).  With the media, you're stuck with what's included in the media, and
it's slower (let alone optical drives have much higher error rates than the hard
drive).

Secondly, try remounting /boot read-only on the live system, and re-fsck:
  # mount -o remount,ro /dev/sda1 /boot
  # fsck -n /dev/sda1  (try a dry run first)

I'm still wondering why it didn't fsck during boot, unless you meant you booted
into the Anaconda upgrader instead of the existing distro/kernel.

Lastly, if you're /boot isn't large enough, try removing older kernels that you
are no longer booting.  That should solve the problem.

-- Bryan

P.S.  I'm still wondering why Amahi hasn't just moved to Red Hat Enterprise
Linux (EL) and its "rebuilds," instead of Fedora.  Fedora moves way-too-fast,
and the ABI/API can change regularly.  With EL, you never upgrade, just update,
plus there are the "EL rebuild" options (e.g., CentOS).  They could be releasing
for EL6 now (Red Hat developer subscriptions are cheap, always have been since
RHN dropped RHL), and others could be running it on "EL rebuilds" when they
become available.

--
Bryan J  Smith       Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:     http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith