[CALUG] compilers and linux

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 11:35:16 EDT 2011

Just wondering because of a news item today:

Some outfit named PathScale announced a gpl release of their
compilers.  Supposedly the compilers are really good.
I would guess they must be or they wouldn't be in business.
Competing with gcc is an interesting concept and of course if
you have a product you don't want to release source code
for, then you may use their compiler--- although I don't think thats
really the case.

But, more to an interesting tech Q;
does anyone know of a kernel, X, desktop, apps etc that have been
compiled using some other than gcc compiler, such as PathScale
or Intels compiler, AND performed some kind of performance
evaluation such as memory image size or run speed ??
(I figure the actual file sizes generated isn't important anymore).

Walt....

Celebrating over 13,000 emails in my Yahoo Inbox !