[CALUG] Fedora upgrade unsuccessful

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Fri Jun 17 11:25:34 EDT 2011

  Well, I hate to jump in here because Bryan seems to be giving you good
advice, but since I have never used Amahi either I can't resist.

My advice is of the form "when you realize that you're going down the
wrong road, turn back as soon as possible" and "don't throw good money
(or effort) after bad".

I never do upgrades...always clean installs. And I would *never* attempt
to update further than N to N+1.

And I never accept the default partitioning. Disks are Huge these days,
but someone chose a Puny /boot size.

I usually make an 8G partition, install a small Rescue Linux there that
owns the MBR, and then use that same partition as the /boot of my "real"
systems. But *don't reformat* that partition on install.

Since you are using LVM, sharing your existing root LV and create
another. You can dual boot both systems...F12 and F14. OK, so your files
in /boot will conflict with each other, but you can put them into
subdirectories and alter your grub.conf lines.

Or if you want to keep the same root, just same the old files. Do
something like:

cd /; mkdir /var/hda/f12; rsync -ax / /boot /var/hda/f12

Then do a clean install of f14 (hey...f15 is out now) and redo your
customizations. How extensive are they?

JIM

P.S. What does your fsck look like? Does it go thru all the 5 passes?
Since it's probably "dirty" it ought to run, but you may need to use the
-f option to force it. The -o remount,ro trick that Bryan mentioned
works nicely, altho you can also run it from Rescue Mode from the CD.