[CALUG] Fedora upgrade unsuccessful

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Mon Jun 20 01:54:33 EDT 2011

  On 6/18/2011 3:23 PM, Joe wrote:
> That being said, since /boot needs to be increased in size, the only way to
> do it is to do a fresh install.  I wish I could use F15 but F14 is what
Not at all. This is where you get to figure out how to resize your
filesystems, logical volumes, volume groups, physical volumes, and
physical partitions.

Offhand I would say:

[1] boot a Linux in Rescue Mode
[2] resize the VG (Volume Group) to 70% of its current size
[3] resize the PV (Physical Volume) to 80% of its current size
[4] using fdisk, write down the root partition start and end cylinders
[5] delete the root partition
[6] recreate the root partition using the same start cylinder to 90% of
its size
[7] create a new /boot partition with the other 10% of space
[8] use hdparm -z to reread the partition table
[9] resize the PV to use the rest of the space
[10] resize the VG to use the rest of the space
[11] reboot the system, move the /boot files, reinstall grub, edit
fstab, etc

Simple as pi. Rational as same :)

JIM

P.S. But if you DO reinstall, use your own Sizes and Names.