[CALUG] Disk alignment and boundaries -- WAS: Fedora upgrade

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 15:08:34 EDT 2011

Yes, I meant the "+".  thanks.

and I suppose I picked on fdisk since as far as I know, grub
provides no user info except some kinda map.   IF grub has
knowledge about the boots chain(s), perhaps a boot_chain_print() method
could be added.

I suppose my 10 partitions on my FC6 drive was still before fdisk was "fixed" ??
Unless the one Windows install on it screwed up the fdisk display.
( by adding "+" 's).

Way way way long ago, I had surmised that having a small "normal" partition
was the way for a boot to be easy.  Of course Microsoft was perceived to
be owning the FAT technology at the time, so I didn't think it could happen
until some court ruled FAT wasn't MS's anymore.

I've seen brief mention of uEFI once or twice.. as a bios replacement ?
Would like to see more about how it might work.  Is it in "product" now ?
I mean, firmware has to start doing something at power-on no matter what
else is in the box.  I guess having a ROM linux is the rage at some places.
But how different would a uEFI be ?  Or did they just leave out leggy stuff ?

Celebrating over 13,000 emails in my Yahoo Inbox !