[CALUG] Disk alignment and boundaries -- WAS: Fedora upgrade

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jun 21 00:58:32 EDT 2011

Pretty much all disks today come pre-sliced with the first 1MiB (0-2047 for
512b, 0-255 for 4KiB sectors) being reserved for MBR and the first slice
starting after that 1MiB (at sector 2048 for 512b, 256 for 4KiB).

Slices do not need to start on a cylinder boundary.  That was an old DOS
(including DOS 7 aka 95/98/Me) limitation that NT has never had (at least not
since before NT4 SP4), and Linux has never, ever required AFAIK (maybe back
before 2.0, never tried it with 1.3 or even old 0.96 when I first started with
SLS and Yggdrassil).  CHS can safely be _ignored_ with NT and Linux.

Logical partitions require a reservation for the Extended meta-data, hence the
offset and not at 0.  Don't know what you mean by 16065.  Again, CHS can be
safely _ignored_ with NT and Linux.  It was only a requirement for DOS.  CHS is
distracting.