[CALUG] Fedora upgrade .... CALUG Digest, Vol 54, Issue 14

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jun 21 20:08:46 EDT 2011

For backward compatibility, max sectors is 63, heads is 255, in CHS.  So 32/128
would be 4MiB, not 8MiB, cylinders (and MiB, not GiB).  The maximum 63/255 is
just under 8MiB, not a perfect boundary.  Many people are using 32/64 for 1MiB,
although beware of translations that show up.

PC BIOS 16-bit Extended Int13h define most of the legacy structures.  For the
most part, I just note that things are stored in the first 1MiB (first 2048x512b
or 256x4KiB sectors) which is considered the MBR.  This has been respected for
several years now by NT5.1 (XP/2003) and NT6.x (Vista, 7, 2008), so I usually
just stick with it.

None of this matters with 64-bit uEFI and GPT, of course.

-- Bryan

FYI, Virtually all fixed disks models today are coming with 4KiB sector size.
Many come with a jumper for 512b emulation that is on by default, but they are
4KiB.  Until I see universal tool support for 4KiB, I leave the jumper on.
After all, most everything else is aligned on 4KiB or 8KiB structures anyway,
and shouldn't be accessing individual 512b bytes.