[CALUG] adding simple text to images

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 23:55:22 EST 2011

Thanks to all who replied via email.
I had to go beyond the textual descriptions to git 'er done.

And thanks to about 6 people who all
crowded around one guys Asus... at the monthly meeting.
He had a boot problem fixed by the C-gang
and the thingy was subsequently used to perform
a real live demo of gimp showing what a layer was,
and both how to cut a section, and to paste over a
selection with a white field so it could eb redrawn.

I've been able to sucessfully duplicate the basic feat at home
on a very sllghtly older gimp ... but it took awhile:  My tools aren't
docked: I can't dock them as per the Asus at club meeting, and my Layer window
wasn't showing at all: I finally found ( after about 45 minutes )
Windows -> recently closed docks ->
and got it to display !!!  And I now know that I WILL have have multiple selections
showing that can't be made to go away...  but they can be made to appear
elsewhere... ( very strange indeed ).

Ain't ** nothin ** like real hands-on in some cases... like gimp... !!!

I suppose, if I feel challenged, like tieing my shoelaces, someone may
give me a demo on how to do the dirty deed on OO, as suggested by one person..
But I think I'll wait a month for that.

In the meantime, I have the absolute minimum to accomplish my task.

oh, and the demo on using Sourceforge by Jim Sansing wasn't bad either.
Not too technical, not too general, not off-course--
just about right.

thx again !