[CALUG] Random Network Interfaces

Randal T. Rioux randy at procyonlabs.com
Tue Mar 22 23:32:31 EDT 2011

Greetings.

I haven't used Linux as a router/firewall in 15 years. Usually use
OpenBSD or dedicated appliances. I wanted to give RHEL6 a shot and
experienced some oddities.

I've also tested this with Slackware 13.1 for the record.

I have 8 NICs on an IBM x345. With OpenBSD, I can reboot and switch
cables and networks and the NIC devices are always named the same.

Doing the same with RHEL and Slackware keeps
incrementing/adding/removing eth's each time (messing up IP assignments
and causing general mayhem), i.e. eth0 because eth3, eth5 is gone, etc.

Is this a feature? Can somebody explain this to me? My Web search foo
must be weak this evening.

Thanks, folks.

Randy