[CALUG] Random Network Interfaces

Rajiv Gunja opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 14:43:55 EDT 2011

Open BSD does not follow most UNIX convention while scanning for hardware.
It not only scans the bus, but it also looks at the type of hardware and
connection to give it a name/number designation.

Linux on the other hand, more like Solaris, scans the PCI and assigns the
name/number as and when it finds it.
So if you have 8 cards or ports, the first port(according to the kernel) is
always going to be eth0, so even if you plug your network into 8th port, it
wont be called eth0, but eth7. (Of course assuming that all ports have
different mac address, on solaris/sparc, you can assign the same mac address
to all ports on the SAME card.)

If you are in doubt as to what the network name/number is assigned, just
check 'dmesg'. Use lspci to find all your network devices.

@ work, many years ago, when we built RHEL 2 and 3 servers, we always cabled
all the servers(dell) the same way(4 ports of ethernet, of which 2 will be
used). None of them had an issue with different network names. At one point
we built 22 servers in 24 hours.

Irix and Solaris.
-GGR

--