[CALUG] Random Network Interfaces

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Mar 24 10:58:44 EDT 2011

From: Rajiv Gunja <opn.src.rocks at gmail.com>

Correct.

On non-PC Linux, almost always correct.  Linux just handles the standards of
OpenBoot, EFI64, ARC, etc... which are far more exacting than the PC BIOS.

But the PC BIOS is another story.

But the hardware-firmware _does_ enumerate order.  Many times the
hardware-firmware enumeration done by the PC BIOS does _not_ match the OS
enumeration.

That's because the PC BIOS lacks standards.

I've been running Linux on EFI -- PC, not IA-64 -- for a couple of years now.
;)
It has its own maturity issues, but at least got some "shakedown" from IA-64.
Mac has shipped both EFI32 and EFI64, which is another issue I've run into.

No, it is _not_ always constant with the PC BIOS.  I can_not_ emphasize this
enough.

The way Fedora-based distros maintain eth# assignment is by MAC address in the
"ifcfg-*" files.

But if you boot a kernel without network configuration, such as during
Anaconda's install, it is not uncommon for different orders to re-occur, let
alone the primary MAC (used to PXEBoot) may not match what is enumerated as
eth0, etc...  This is especially the case if you change select details in the PC
BIOS.

Unlike other platforms, it is not unheard of for re-order of devices on the
PCI/PCI-X/PCIe bus in the PC BIOS, especially when a NVRAM change is made.
Again, boot any Linux installer or without configuration files and you'll run
into it.  ;)

>>>world.

I'm not changing MAC addresses in those files.  The ifcfg-* files assign "eth#"
based on MAC address.  ;)

Otherwise, if one does not tie the MAC address to an eth# device, there is a
chance of a re-assignment.  This is especially true when the MAC order may not
match BIOS order, especially for things like PXEBoot.

It's not uncommon for the first MAC to PXEBoot, and then an installer to be
confused as it comes up eth1.  That's why parameters have to be passed, MAC
addresses entered in ifcfg-* files after installation, etc...

 --
Bryan J  Smith       Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:     http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith