[CALUG] DoD/OSI Layer 2, 3 and 4 in the real world -- WAS: open ports

Joel J. tcepsa at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 17:11:14 EDT 2011

GGR> Yes, every application that talks over the network or within the
OS itself has a port, it may be a temporary port, but it is
GGR> present. In fact when 1 app talks to another app within the same
server/pc, a port is opened for communication. It may not be
GGR> seen on the network, but it is still present.

I'm going to have to go with Brian on this one.  For example, I
present the humble ping application.  It communicates with another
computer across a network, yet does not use a port.

--Joel