[CALUG] Indoor amplified OTA Antenna

Jim Summe jsumme at verizon.net
Fri Jan 27 00:31:14 EST 2012

Rajiv,

I live in Columbia a mile or two west of US 29.  I recently installed a
Channel Master 4228HD directional antenna,
http://www.channelmaster.com/HD_television_antenna_Channel_Master_CM_4228HD_HDTV_Antenna_s/43.htm,
in my attic above the second floor.  I aimed the antenna at the main
cluster of Washington stations as determined by AntennaWeb,
http://www.antennaweb.org/.  For my location, the Washington stations
are clustered at a compass heading of 219 degrees, and almost all the
Baltimore stations are at a heading of 66 degrees.  I receive good
signals regardless of the weather for both the Washington and Baltimore
stations.

The coax run from the attic to a two way splitter is 75 feet.  One TV is
located at the splitter; the second TV is another 75 feet away.  I did
not find that I needed either a pre-amplifier or a distribution amplifier.

Another site that I utilized was TV Fool at http://www.tvfool.com/index.php.

If you have the time and inclination, you could build your own
Gray-Hoverman Antenna which is licensed under the GPL.  See
http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/ and
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?s=3f51bba256c151ca30a448ef32c513ad&t=140206.

Jim Summe