[CALUG] [baltolug] Evince PDF Issue Update

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jan 30 18:10:38 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Bonnie Dalzell <bdalzell at qis.net> wrote:
> thanks for the educational information on the liberation fonts. it appears
> that they are in ubuntu synaptic package manger as fonts-liberation and they
> are part of the standard installation with xubuntu 12.10

Every distribution offers them, if not install them as standard and
use them by default (e.g., LibreOffice).  Red Hat secured the rights
in 2007, and by the end of 2007, everyone was including them.  There
were a few, early issues (especially with monospace metrics v.
display), but most were addressed by versions in 2008.

Most of the complaints with the fonts have to do with the metrics,
which are due to Monotype (Microsoft), as they are emulated
metric-for-metric.  I.e., there are better fonts out there for
displays, and Liberation's primary reason for existence is not
display, but metric replacement, especially in print (spacing, size,
etc...).

Google also tapped the same developer (Ascender) after the Red Hat
related development and licensing to develop the "Droid" fonts.  Droid
fonts are designed for small screens and, more importantly, lower
overhead.  I.e., most fonts are designed for 1200-2400dpi, but
on-screen can be 150-300ppi.

--
Bryan J Smith - Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org - http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith