[CALUG] need some web advice

mhartwx mhartwx at verizon.net
Thu Mar 14 18:06:42 EDT 2013

I took over webmastering for my non-profit bird-owners club last year &
have run into a problem because our free web host (directNIC) isn't free
since the beginning of this month.  I found another free host but wasn't
able to open an account using our existing domain (though I followed
their on-line instructions).  Since it's all free there's no tech
support & I can't figure out what's wrong.

I'm beginning to think the answer is to find a cheap hosting company
instead since they have an incentive to help me get our domain working
on their servers.  Since I'm likely to have to pay for all this myself,
any suggestions as to a good host at the lowest possible cost?  I want a
host with FTP capability so we can keep our existing pages.  I see
GoDaddy is having a sale where I can sign up for 1-3 years for 2.99 (a
month) instead of the 4.99 most other places charge. Are they any good?

Our website is simple - just html pages & linked pdfs.

     mlh