[CALUG] Silver Spring Mini Maker Faire on Sept 29, 2013

Phil Shapiro pshapiro at his.com
Mon Sep 16 06:38:45 EDT 2013

Hi calug community,

The upcoming Silver Spring Mini Maker Faire is shaping up to be an exciting event.
http://makerfairesilverspring.com/ Free and family-friendly. Thanks for helping to spread
the word about it.

In my mind the maker movement and the open source movement are in truth just one
movement. From Arduino to Raspberry Pi -- all the coolest stuff in the maker movement
is open source.

I'm a volunteer supporter of this event. I'll be there showing some basics of Google SketchUp.
My friend Bonnie Roskes, who has written more than 15 books about SketchUp, will also be showing some SketchUp tips and techniques. Bonnie runs her own publishing company in DC that focuses on SketchUp. http://3dvinci.net

Check out how creative she is in these YouTube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsGJ9i1CB8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL8dtnibbNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4t_BaJXds

phil

btw, here are some smiles I made in OpenOffice Impress over the weekend.

http://www.his.com/~pshapiro/CliffSleeping/img0.png

To navigate thru this, click on the <continue> and <back> text links at the top of the screen.

Until I created this, I didn't realize that OpenOffice Impress does such a nice job of exporting HTML. You just choose Export from the File menu and it creates lovely HTML files.

Phil Shapiro, pshapiro at his.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html
http://www.twitter.com/philshapiro
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/stories.menu.html