[CALUG] October Meeting Announcement - A review of modern PostgreSQL

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Sun Sep 28 10:43:47 EDT 2014

Greetings Everyone!

For our october 8th meetings we'll be featuring our own Keith Fiske! He
will be giving a talk entitled Don't Forget the Elephant: A Review of
Modern PostgreSQL.

Many database administrators were first introduced to PostgreSQL years
ago and have memories (good & bad) of using version numbers starting
with 6, 7 & 8. With the rise in popularity of MySQL, many open source
advocates turned there since the majority of internet community support
was centered around it. And the advanced features that commercial
databases such as Oracle & SQL Server were advertising appealed to many
enterprise administrators.

But in the last several years, things have changed. MySQL is still one
of the most popular open source databases, but its ownership by Oracle
has cast a vast shadow over the project. And the rising costs and
license management of commercial database systems are causing enterprise
headaches. In all this time, PostgreSQL has been getting many of those
advanced features it used to be missing and has been getting some of its
own unique capabilities that can set it above the rest.

This talk will go over the major feature improvements in PostgreSQL
since the 8.x series was released, how its community has stepped up to
fill in the missing feature gaps, and what the future holds for one of
the longest running, truly open source relational database management
system projects.

The meeting will take place at OmniTI, located in Fulton, MD. The
address is 11830 West Market Place Fulton, MD 20759. The building is
near the Harris Teeter, easily seen from the road. When you approach the
HT head on, the OmniTI office is to its right.

We'll be using the back entrance which is surrounded by plants which
will lead directly to the meeting room.

Be sure to show up from 6:30 until 7 for pizza provided by Tenable
Network Security and socializing. The meeting will start about 7pm.

http://www.calug.org
http://www.tenable.com
http://omniti.com
http://omniti.com/is/here