[CALUG] ubuntu Unity alternatives.

Wendel Dean Renner WendelDRenner at comcast.net
Thu Jan 1 11:25:17 EST 2015

I updated ubuntu 9.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS because I could no longer
get packages for 9.04.

Pershaps someone could give me an overview of who or what is driving
Ubuntu?     I find the Unity desktop completely foreign and confusing.
I could not even figure out how to get a terminal window up.
You have to hit control-alt-T.   How is anyone suppose to know that?
I understand it is designed for netbooks and touch based devices.
I need something for a desktop computer.

I have considered going back to an earlier desktop such as
GNOME or KDE. Is there any reason why that would not be a good
idea?