[CALUG] UPDATE: List Instability -- Should Be Resolved in a Few Days

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Sun May 17 00:49:11 EDT 2015

Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org> writes:

> Ahoy,
>
> I'm still alive and hosting the list as usual, but hcoop's mail server
> has decided that it is time to retire. The RAID card memory went bad and
> it was offline for a few hours yesterday and again last night and will
> unfortunately likely go down again a couple of more times. Amazingly
> enough, the machine is able to run for hours at a time with a failing
> RAID controller, but I am not sure how long that will hold out.
>
> Mail delivery + lists will be moved to new stable hardware by tomorrow
> night (have to work on this stuff after work). Sorry for the service
> interruption there. The mailman web interface might be down for an
> additional day or two -- I'll keep ya'll updated.

Ahoy!

This mail was sent by the new mail server. We're 95% off of the old
server (waiting for dns to catch up and the spool to clear), and the
disk controller had the decency to only fail once more after the initial
downtime.

The list manager interface *should* be fully functional now. For
moderators, I have some good news: we're finally runnining a non-ancient
mailman and I will be enabling spamassassin integration to automatically
discard really spammy mail.

List archives are currently inaccessible because Debian Jessie's Mailman
build and Apache 2.4's suexec hate each other, and I need to rebuild
either the mailman or suexec packages to get all of the permissions
issues straightened out without weakening the permissions on the private
archives folder. I expect them to be back up by the middle of the next
week.

Let me know if anything is wonky, I may have missed some things (the
mail config at hcoop is ... interesting).

--
   (1) _Of course_ we made sure it was actually too slow before making
the ugly optimization.