[CALUG] Meeting Announcement Nov 11 -- Tim Spangler on Apache | and BSidesDE

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Thu Nov 5 10:47:25 EST 2015

Greetings All,

For the November 11 CALUG meeting we will be given a presentation by our
own Tim Spangler. He'll be giving us an overview talk on Open Source Apache.

For those interested, BSides Delaware will be taking place on November 13th
and 14th. This is a free conference taking place at Wilmington University
New Castle Campus. They will be having the traditional tracks and will be
having a track for kids. More information can be found at
http://www.bsidesdelaware.com.

December meeting note: There is a conflict with our host, OmniTI, for the
December 9th meeting date. Therefore we'll be meeting over at Unallocated
Space that night and taking part in their open house and lock picking
night, presented by Toool. We'll learn how locks work and how to pick them.

Open Source Apache from 10,000 feet.

Tim Spangler will discuss Open Source Apache from a 10,000 foot view, to
provide a general overview of a variety of Apache features and day-to-day
usage.  More specifically, Tim will cover a very brief history of web
servers and Apache, and then will cover Apache basics, configuration and
troubleshooting tips, the basics of rewrite rules and forward proxies,
securing your site, and using Apache as a load balancer.  The discussion
will also briefly cover using openssl to create SSL certificates, and, if
time allows, making Apache highly available using keepalived.

Bio:

Tim Spangler has been professionally working as a systems engineer for
nearly 20 years across a wide variety of technologies, and for a broad
range of businesses -– from a small, family run, Internet Service Provider
to Fortune 100 corporations. His background includes Linux, Unix, and
Windows administration, middleware management, data center design, backup
and recovery, engineering high availability solutions, Perl application
development, SAN configuration, and more. Through it all, Tim has been
heavily focused on web technology in particular, and has run Open Source
Apache starting with Version 1.3.1 back in 1998.

Tim holds a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science with Minors in English
and Business from Carroll College (now Carroll University) in Waukesha WI,
and is currently working as a Principal Member of Technical Staff with
Oracle.

The meeting will take place at OmniTI, located in Fulton, MD. The
address is 11830 West Market Place Fulton, MD 20759. The building is
near the Harris Teeter, easily seen from the road. When you approach the
HT head on, the OmniTI office is to its right.

We'll be using the back entrance which is surrounded by plants which
will lead directly to the meeting room.

Be sure to show up from 6:30 until 7 for pizza provided by Tenable Network
Security and socializing. The meeting will start about 7pm.
http://www.calug.orghttp://www.tenable.comhttp://omniti.comhttp://omniti.com/is/herehttp://apache.org
http://toool.us
http://bsidesdelaware.com
http://unallocatedspace.org