[CALUG] Getting into software development on Ubuntu

Mathew Stahl linuxgeekster.stahl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 22:03:12 EST 2015

Hi all,

I am going back to school at ITT Tech for software development but, I do
have some prior experience from several years ago. Unfortunately, I have
been out of touch a bit in that area. I am looking to setup a laptop with
Ubuntu or Xubuntu for my main development box and I have a few questions.

1. Can anyone recommend any particular tools that would be useful, specific
types of debuggers, packagers, etc?

2. Have any of you used Rpmbuild or FPM for building RPMs and how well do
they actually work? Or am I going to need to have a vm of fedora available
in case I need to build and RPM package?

3. Netbeans and Code::Blocks are the IDEs I am most familiar with. Can
anyone suggest a different/better IDE that I should try out or a good
online tutorial for getting familiar with the CLI tool chain for
development as it has been a while since I have touched any serious code?

Thanks,

Mathew Stahl
AKA Neodragon