[CALUG] Recommended remote linux hosting

Jason C. Miller jason.c.miller at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 11:16:45 EST 2016

Hey, all!  I'd like to set up a remote server for proxying and openvpn.
Can somebody recommend a good hosting service?  I'm looking for someone who
offers...

1. A remote linux instance (size/scale doesn't matter)
2. Shell/root administrative access to said instance
3. Fast, unlimited (or, *effectively* unlimited) bandwidth
4. Something that won't break the bank.  This comes out of my own pocket.

I'm not as concerned about Memory, CPU, and disk.  If I could throw a
Raspberry Pi in some remote server closet, I'd have happy.

With the amount of travelling I do, I'd like to be able to maintain some
kind of remote trusted gateway for myself, my laptop, and my phone/tablet.
I've looked at lots of providers but there's usually something that turns
me off enough to keep looking.  I'm looking for a diamond-in-the-rough if I
can find one.

Any suggestions?