[CALUG] Sudden logout

Bernard Karmilowicz karmilow at intencorp.com
Sat Dec 9 00:21:11 EST 2017

Good morning, Howard;

> I have had this laptop suddenly logout
> How can I track down what is happening?
> This is Fedora 25 on a 7yr old ASUS laptop.

If you are using the X Window server (xorg) then:

1. Examining the X Window server log files may provide a clue where to direct further attention:

     /var/log/Xorg.0.log
     /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old

The Xorg.0.old file will likely have more useful information than the log for your current session (Xorg.0.log). I would start reading from the bottom of the Xorg.0.old file upward. The last line in the file should be something to the effect of when the session terminates normally:

     "Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file."

2. Regarding Ken Jackson's keyboard-shortcut note; The X Server kill ("Zap") keyboard shortcut can be disabled within the X Server configuration file (xorg.conf). Instructions/information regarding that configuration file and the "DontZap" configuration option are at:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/4/html/Reference_Guide/s1-x-server-configuration.html
https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.xhtml

3. The Fedora 25 Installation Guide includes a page on X Server crashes which may be useful as well:

https://docs-old.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/25/html/Installation_Guide/ch07s04s06.html

Good luck.

- Bernie

--