[CALUG] high speed dual serial port

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 7 16:22:54 EDT 2017

hi,

this one is a little more technical specific..

A long shot....

Does anyone have experience using Linux
to use a high dual port serial ( com )?
Specifcally using the Oxford Semi chip ?
0xpci1952 ?  ( I may have not read it quite right..
small print ya know ) on a PCI board.

The chip apparently can be set for normal
bauds, in the normal 550 mode - and also
has a 128 byte fifo, ( contrast to older 16 bytes ).

It's a version of the reference board sold by
Big Company..   I can make it work but only
with one baud:  460800.  At least, thats what
connects to the USR 56k external modem.
The modem mesg says usually, 45k connected.
That the modem modulation speed.
stty -F /dev/ttyS0 shows the port at 460800
when I set wvdial at several different numbers.

What makes this unique is that the baud can  range
from 115200 up to 15mbits..  uh, yeah, thats mega bits.
Unfortunately, setting parameters on the board
isn't possible with linux, hence with my trials,
only the one baud at 460800 seems to work...
( my board has the 1.842 crystal, and the 40 Mhz
crystal ).

I would suppose a script to set up registers on the
PCI board is possible.   There is a Windows driver.

So if you have actually used this and know where some
code is, let me know.

also,  It's be nice if there were a short explanation of the
data layers between the pci bus and some driver...

thx,

Walt . . .

----
 The government is lawless, not the press (people).
 ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )