[CALUG] how to moonwalk to linux

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 16:37:50 EDT 2017

What this means is:  how to retrograde one giant
step at a time.   Don't ask how many, but if I can get
one thing to work...  formerly a working CentOS7 x64,
as of yesterday.

I used to know boots before grub. i.e lilo . .
Know next to nothing about grub.

Right now, step 1,  I only get a grub screen.
there's no grub man page.  The grub help lists screen
pages of commands... using more- sometimes - not
less.   grub asks for boot.  I say boot.  grub
says load kernel.  I type load, and it says theres no
command load...

so, what do I do at
>grub

?

At step -1,
rpm --force ivh  kernel-x.x.x.x.x.x 514
over
step -2
rpm --force ivh  kernel-x.x.x.x.x.x 643
( a slightly newer kernel.

 yes, you read that right.

so, as a minimum for you, there seems to be a
vmlinuz and a initrdfs  file in /boot.

Looking for a way to get boot back.

ps: dracut and linux-firmware also - prior
had minor updates.   thats step -3....

Oh, step -4 was when the update didn't boot,
but the rescue did....   oh, golly..    confused?

----
 The government is lawless, not the press (people).
 ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )