[CALUG] offsite for file access

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 8 10:57:08 EDT 2019

hi,

I have an offsite unix account, assume telnet access, using putty.

I want to use it to download a file ( via http)  and store it.
Right now, a long link to that file to be downloaded
is sent to my offsite unix is in an email.
The link is long, so I need copy/paste.

However, my *nix know how editing text between apps
is lost.

At that site,  I have pine available, lynx, links.
In pine , I managed to export the email text body
containing only the link  (I think ).

would:
lynx < myfilelink
be a way to download the link ?

or

wget > myfilelink ?  or a pipe ??

( to avoid actually typing the link )

Is there an easier way to do this?
I seem to be unable to take the short route and
simply copy into a OS buffer  ( ^C ) the text
inside the pine email body.

suggestion ?

thx,

Walt . . .

I want to do that by telnetting or ssh .

Tools available there are pine, lynx, links

---- The government is lawless, not the press (people). ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )