[CALUG] offsite for file access

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Aug 8 15:59:33 EDT 2019

Not sure exactly what someone is looking for here, but just to add ...

If SCP/SFTP isn't an option, but one is using a terminal, and something
like various Linux terminals, or on Windows MobaXterm, SecureCRT, etc...,
one can actually 'stream' files through a terminal using Z-modem is an
option.  Yes, it still exists 30 years later.  ;)

I don't think PuTTY supports it, and Linux terminals vary.  On Windows,
with MobaXterm I can right-click and use 'send/receive via Z-modem.'  In
SecureCRT, it will auto-detect an incoming Z-modem stream and download.

On the 'remote' server side, this requires the 'rz' (receive Z-modem) or
'sz' (send Z-modem), which is in the package 'lrzsz' in most distros. One
would type 'rz' to 'receive' on the remote server (send from Linux
terminal, MobaXterm or SecureCRT) and 'sz' to 'send' (send to Linux
terminal, MobaXterm or SecureCRT).

As I mentioned one may have to right-click and say the opposite of the
command, send/receive in the local terminal.

- bjs