[CALUG] RIP Linux Journal -- Again

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Mon Aug 12 21:55:08 EDT 2019

Greetings All,

For those that have followed this story, about 2 years ago Linux Journal
announced it was closing its doors. About two months later Private Internet
Access stepped in and sponsored them to give them a chance to restructure
and eventually move forward on their own. Linux Journal announced late last
week that they cannot go on now that their sponsorship from PIA has gone
away. So they are shutting the doors again, this time for real (according
to them). They have not announced a timeline to shut down the site, but
they said the site would be available "for the next few weeks".
https://www.linuxjournal.com/

There are many excellent articles in their archives. If you would like to
get your own HTML copy, this wget command will clone it for you (It worked
for me). The command will convert the links to local links for easy local
browsing. The site comes in at just over 1.8GB. 'wget --mirror
convert-links --html-extension -o log
https://secure2.linuxjournal.com/ljarchive/LJ/'

You can also get the issues in PDF, MOBI, and EPUB at
https://secure2.linuxjournal.com/pdf/dljdownload.php . However, as far as I
can tell, there is no straight forward way to get these as there is with
the HTML format. These formats must be grabbed manually as the links are
unique to each issue/format. And to be honest, I think the HTML is the most
flexible for my needs so I didn't spend much time trying to get around it
for the other formats. (I may look at it again after I get my presentation
done)