[CALUG] squirrel w/ web gui and pine email

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 31 12:52:24 EDT 2019

hi all.

I have an sdf.org ( a *nix community site with shell and services).
summary:   site mail inbox get emptied when alpine started.
i.e. apline has the mail, webmail doesn't.

getting mail:
I can ssh to shell and use pine ( alpine )
I can use webmail:  squirrel under a web gui.

If I start their webmail gui, I have mail.
When I start alpine, it sucks all the email
out of the common mail repo
( file "mail"  or "inbox" ? ).
And so the webmail Inbox is emptied.

I bet there's a setting so I can have a "common"
shared file repo for the Inbox.
-----
Anyone know what that is ??
-----
I don't know if marked mails ( read, unread etc )
are shared-- I doubt it, and maybe don't care much
if not.

Also, webmail yahoo.com doesn't receive the files
quickly....  I notice the webmail and alpine times are
displayed in UK time ( UTC ).....

-----
Should the webmail gui program ( or squirrel ) ,
and alpine be aware of local time for yahoo benefit ???
-----

thx,

Walt . . . . .