[CALUG] Looking for advice

Bryan Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Feb 12 15:04:19 EST 2019

Just to provide more info on System76 (Clevo [1])...

System76 notebook units are Clevo - - the largest notebook Original Device
Manufacturer (ODM) - - units, typically wholesale via Sager (unless
System76's distribution has reached the point they are bypassing Sager),
Clevo's largest North American redistributor, both resell and wholesale.

Clevo units are very reference Intel designs, and modular, usually allowing
both CPU and even Mobile PCIe Express Module (MXM) upgrades within 1-2
generations, depending on the unit, and the MXM size (if it has one at
all). That makes them very Linux compatible.

Notebook Review has a forum for Clevo-Sager owners.  If one can find the
Clevo or Sager model from the OEM's model, then they can look up reviews.
[2]

Sager pays the 'Windows tax' (~$25/unit for Home, ~$100 for Pro) on its
models.
But when it wholesales to others, like System76, they do not.

So if one doesn't want Windows at all...
It's best to go with the other OEMs that Sager wholesales to, like System76.

But when one wants Windows to dual-boot, then a Sager model will usually be
cheaper than adding a full OEM license for Windows (~$100 Home, ~$175 for
Pro).

- bjs

P. S.  Before Dell bought Alienware, they too were Clevo ODM units, exact
same models available from many other OEMs.  A good marketing strategy,
enough that Dell bought them out.

[1] Wikipedia:  Clevo (ODM/OEM)
 - https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Clevo

[2] Notebook Forum:  Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges
 -
http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/sager-clevo-reviews-owners-lounges.1069/