[CALUG] Meeting Announcement - Phil Shapiro's Most Affordable Computer project

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Thu Jul 4 09:40:59 EDT 2019

Greetings All,

For the July 10, 2019 CALUG meeting we will be discussing Phil Shapiro’s
Most Affordable Computer project.

Phil Shapiro, who works as the public geek at the Takoma Park Maryland
Library (a Linux public library), will explain about his new volunteer
project, "Most Affordable Computer," to get Linux desktops and laptops into
the hands of people who otherwise would not have access to such tech. (See
http://www.mostaffordablecomputer.com) Last month he started delivering
these "at-cost" computers to some community members in Takoma Park. There
are many ways that people can be involved in Most Affordable Computer - and
this will be explained at the meeting. There is no geographical bounds for
this project — so if people in CALUG would like to be delivering Most
Affordable Computers in Howard County - or elsewhere - I’m all on board
with that.

Phil is also very interested in the ways that Linux user groups can be
working together with public libraries to showcase open source solutions to
the public. For example, there might be ways that CALUG can support Howard
County Libraries in loaning out Raspberry Pi 4’s.

Learn more about some of Phil’s open source projects and ideas via these
links.

http://www.techsoupforlibraries.org/blog/creating-childrens-story-animations-using-inkscape-and-animatron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPPTVrKoNlc
http://www.mywildestidea.com/
https://www.pcworld.com/article/228987/does_free_software_restory_dignity.html
https://opensource.com/life/14/8/does-open-source-boost-mental-health
https://opensource.com/life/13/1/inkscape-save-from-crime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZiN6nm-PUU

We will be hosted at the UMBC Training Center, located at 6996 Columbia
Gateway Dr #100, Columbia, MD 21046. When you walk in through the mail
lobby make a right. We will be at the end of the hall in the last room on
the right. Our friends at Aplura will be providing the pizza and soda
starting at 6:30. The talk will start about 7pm.

We are looking for speakers for the upcoming months. If you have a topic
you would like to present on, please let me know and I’ll get you scheduled.

http://calug.org
https://www.umbctraining.com/Home
https://aplura.com