[CALUG] For tomorrow's meeting, bring your laptops -- and Raspberry Pi 4 will be set up

Phil Shapiro pshapiro at his.com
Tue Jul 9 15:50:37 EDT 2019

For tomorrow's CALUG meeting, bring your laptop, if you feel so inclined. In the spirit of open source, I'll set up a back channel for people to chime in (via text)
during my talk. I can learn as much from CALUG members as you can learn from me.

We might use this service - Back Channel Chat -- or whatever other back channel service people like to use.

[ https://backchannelchat.com/ | https://backchannelchat.com/ ]

Also, I'll be bringing my new Raspberry Pi 4 - with 4K monitor -- if people would like to try it out. It feels plenty fast to me.

phil

On an unrelated matter that might be of interest to some CALUG members, here is a short video from one of the exhibits I set up at Maker Faire NoVa last month. This game - a cross between
ping pong and Frisbee -- is called "Thunk." I wanted to create a physical activity that is joyful, but not tiring. The name Thunk comes from
the original version of the game where I used paper cups to catch the ping pong balls. At the bottom of the paper cuts was some soft felt -- which
made the ball sound like "thunk" when you caught it.

In the version at the maker faire, I used colorful butterfly nets, instead of paper cups. That seemed to work better.

[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3LQ-WDzaVM | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3LQ-WDzaVM ]

btw, a high school student I hired created the above video. He did a nice job, but the video sounds too much like an advertisement. I'm going to ask
him to take out some of those text screens before I upload this video to my own YouTube channel.

Phil Shapiro, pshapiro at his.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html
http://www.twitter.com/philshapiro
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/stories.menu.html

"Wisdom begins with wonder." - Socrates
"Learning happens thru gentleness."
"We must reinvent a future free of blinders so that we can choose from real options." David Suzuki